After the festive time of Eid, thinking it’s all over until next year. More family members ended up visiting us here in the countryside where it made Eid – part 2. So on with the major cooking!
For that reason, I took the opportunity to do some more Video Tutorials, this time, Turkish Lentil Soup – Mercimek Corbasi. Recipe inspired from my mother.
My own Video Tutorial – Link
- 1 cup of orange split lentils
- 1/2 cup plain white rice
- 2 chicken stock cubes – or better still, our own chicken stock
- 2 medium onions
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper & sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Optional: strips of chicken – added at the boiling stage.
Cooking time: 20-30mins Great for when you have guests!
- First start by filling up a medium saucepan with boiling water and place on high heat.
- Once boiling, add your 2 chicken stock cubes and stir until they dissolve. (If you are using your own chicken stock, follow step 1).
- If you are adding your chicken strip, add now.
- Next add your 1 cup of washed orange split lentils and stir. Leave to boil until the soup has turned into a yellow colour and the lentils are cooked through until soft.
- While the lentils are boiling, chop your 2 onions finely and add into a frying pan on medium heat with cooking oil.
- Fry your onions for roughly about 5-10minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, once your lentils are soft and cooked, add your 1.2 cup of washed plain white rice and boil for a further 10minutes until rice is cooked through.
- By now, the onions should be fried till golden. Once the rice is cooked, add your onions and stir.
- Finally, add your lemon juice, 1 tbsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper and sprinkle of cayenne pepper, or until taste.
- Stir and serve hot!
Lovely for a winter’s evening